What You'll Need
1 cup + 2 Tbsp. Purple Barley Flour
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 stick unsalted butter (chilled, cut into squares)
1/2 cup buttermilk (substitute yogurt, regular milk, etc.)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Raw sugar for topping
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Using a pastry cutter, work chilled butter into dry ingredients until the butter is the size of small peas.
- Whisk together egg, milk, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Using a spatula, fold in egg mixture until dough is formed.
- Gently roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until it's about 1/2-inch thick.
- Using a round biscuit or cookie cutter (about 2-inches), cut out dough and place on cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- After dough is chilled, remove from freezer and bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool and serve with jam and whipped cream.
Makes about 12 scones.