What You'll Need
3 cups All Purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup dried currants
Freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
10 tablespoons butter (1 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter, add mix the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is pea sized and the mixture is almost grainy.
- Add dried currants to the butter and flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Slowly add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour dough onto flour dusted surface. Gently roll out the dough until it is about 3/4 inch thick, being careful not to overwork dough.
- Cut the dough into 2-1/2 inch rounds (you can use a biscuit cutter or any circle cookie cutter of the approximate size) and place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet of scones into the refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place scones into oven and bake for 10 minutes, until puffy and almost golden
- Cool on rack, serve with jam and whipped cream.
Makes about 12 scones.