What You'll Need
1 3/4 cups (400g) water
4 cups (500g) Artisan Bread Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (11g)
1/4 teaspoon instant dry yeast
5-quart (or larger) Dutch oven
9-inch Proofing Basket
STEP 1: MIX & REST
- Measure water, flour, yeast, and salt into a large bowl.
- Stir with spatula or mix with your hands until a shaggy ball of dough forms. Mix in the dry bits at the bottom of the bowl.
- Cover and let rest for 20 minutes before folding.
STEP 2: FOLD
- Wet your hands and reach underneath the dough and gently stretch it over on itself three or four times.
- Repeat three more times over the next hour.
STEP 3: BULK FERMENT
- Cover dough with a damp tea towel for bulk ferment—about 5–6 hours.
STEP 4: SHAPE LOAF
- Pour dough onto counter and shape into a ball by pulling edges into the middle, and pinching the seams together.
- Place the dough seam side up in a proofing basket dusted with flour.
- Cover with a floured cloth and let sit while oven preheats.
STEP 5: FINAL PROOF & BAKE
- Place a covered Dutch Oven in the oven and preheat to 500 F.
- When the oven is preheated, tip the dough ball out of the proofing basket (seam side down) into the middle of a 12 x 18 inch sheet of parchment paper.
- Score the top of the dough with a sharp knife or razor blade.
- Grab the edges of the parchment and lower into the Dutch oven.
- Place the lid back on the Dutch Oven. Reduce oven temperature to 450 F and bake in the covered Dutch Oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of initial bake time, remove the Dutch Oven lid and continue to bake 15 minutes longer (or until bread reaches an internal temperature of 190 F).
- Remove the bread from the pot; transfer to a cooling rack for 1-2 hours before. Enjoy!
Inactive Time: 10-12 hours
Active Time: 20 minutes
Makes 1 Loaf