What You'll Need
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup Cracked Oats, cooked (Step 2)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup + 3 tbsp Rye Flour
3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped semi-sweet or dark chocolate
1/3 - 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
Flaky sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Measure Cracked Oats into pot, and toast over low heat for 5 minutes. Add 4 cups water, increase heat to bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to slow and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Mix in the cooked oats.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together, then slowly add to the wet batter and mix. Once combined, stir in the chocolate and dried cherries, only until just combined.
- Using a cookie scoop (or a tablespoon), form balls on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes, until just set.
- Remove from oven and top with flaky sea salt (optional) while still hot, then transfer to a wire rake to cool completely.
Makes about 24.